Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Running Up The Stairs

When we're in the U.S., we live in my mother-in-law's basement. Recently I caught myself running up the stairs to the first floor. I wasn't in a hurry and I had nowhere to be. But I was running. I am 52 years old and I realized that I run up the stairs often. I began thinking deeply about this; much deeper than I probably should have.

I thought back to when my mother-in-law was my age and realized I had never seen her run up the stairs. At any age. I don't think I've ever seen my own mom run up the stairs.

In our language school in Guatemala my teacher and I met on the roof for class. I had to climb 2 sets of narrow stairs to get to the roof. Not only did I often run up those stairs, I almost always ran down them. I usually did it in some methodical pattern. In my head it sounded something like "ba-bump-bump-bump" as I tackled the stairs in groups of four, barely touching each step before bouncing to the one below.

So why do I run? Is it just because I can? Maybe.

Do my actions reflect that in my heart I still think I am 17 years old? Maybe.

I have no clue why I run up the stairs but I've decided I am going to keep doing it for as long as I possibly can. It keeps me young mentally and reminds me that my body still works the way it should.

If your body is still agile enough to navigate the stairs at a quick pace, I encourage you stay young at heart and race right up!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, is it a go getter attitude in general. Celebrating that you can move like that.

    ReplyDelete