Saturday, May 30, 2009

Boundaries

Sometimes I have to be careful what I say, because I never know who might read this one day. But boundaries....wow.

Aren't boundaries interesting? After doing the Boundaries study back in 1999-2000 (could it have been that long ago?), I am so aware of boundary lines that are wrongly crossed over.

Usually we talk about boundaries in the sense of someone being in your personal space. We all know those people. When they talk to you, they are just inches from your face. Or they can't talk to you without touching you. They just need to back up!

But from our study, I remember boundaries also meaning things we take on that don't belong to us. We tend to want to carry other people's burdens around. And as Christians, I think we are called to do that from time to time. But I'm referring to the things we let other people put on us, not those we tend to voluntarily pick up. This is usually most evident in families.

And then there are boundaries that just say, "This is not your territory. You need to back out of it. You really don't belong in this situation."

Boundaries. Good lesson to remember.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of those studies that keeps on giving and giving. Have read another book on the topic that helped me remember how healthy boundaries actually empower us to receive more from Him

    ReplyDelete